08 July 2008

Three Cups of Tea, The Summer Guest

I recently finished reading two excellent books: Three Cups of Tea and The Summer Guest  

I highly recommend both of them.  I particularly like Three Cups of Tea, a non fiction book, because of what Greg Mortenson has accomplished.  His life is very insightful while simultaneously highly admirable as to how to promote peace in today's society.  He is an educator and peace maker in Pakistan and Afghanistan who builds schools for girls.  The title comes from this excerpt in the book, "Haji Ali, his first Balti friend, told Mortenson that he had to respect Balti ways.  'The first time you share tea with a Balti, you are a stranger.  The second time you take tea, you are an honored guest.  the third time you share tea, you are family and for our family we are prepared to do anything, even die."  It's a great book that teaches you about education, perseverance, sacrifice, and culture.  Read it!!!

The Summer Guest is more of a beach read about generations, fatherhood, and love.  It is fiction and very captivating.  You will enjoy this one too.  If you're just going to read one, though - I recommend Three Cups of Tea.

2 comments:

the dowiaks said...

i haven't read these books, but i probably will now. three cups of tea does sound interesting. my mom just told me that a cousin of my dads and her husband have sort of adopted that motto for building relationships. kind of neat. my next book to read is the kite runner. did you read that one or a thousand splendid suns? i liked the later and will let you know about the kite runner.

Kim said...

I just came across Three Cups of Tea at the bookstore the other day and placed it on my ongoing to-read list. I was hooked by tea sharing anecdote too.