09 July 2008

Diego is 1/2 a year old


My baby turned 6 months today. The time with him has flown. He's such a sweet, cuddly baby who enjoys being held above all else. Can you blame him for loving his mother's arms best? I took him to the pediatrician this morning for his vaccines and well baby check. He's a healthy boy allright seeing that he has not been to the doctor any other time than for his well baby checks. Diego is a lightweight - which is how his genes run, just like his older sister's.

  • Height: 26" (30%)
  • Head Circumference: 16 3/4" (25%)
  • Weight: a whopping 14lbs. 10 oz. thus putting him in the 8th percentile, which means he has jumped in the charts and passed up some of his same age buddies since his last check-up when he was back in the 5th percentile.

Dr. William Pielop cheered me on for still nursing Diego. He stated, "Only 15% of babies in Texas are still breastfeeding at 6 months." I was surprised to learn this statistic considering how many moms I know breastfeed their babies well beyond the 6 month mark.

I tell you that a big reason that I continue to nurse our sweet lil guy besides the obvious reasons (breast is best, it's easy, etc) is because of the cost of formula. We attempted giving him formula a few times and let me tell you - his body highly rejected it (we tried 3 different kinds). Washing multiple sheets (ours and his), pj's (ours and his) and being awake for hours during the night was not an experience I am ready to repeat any time soon. Dr. Pielop recommended this fancy schmancy (i.e. expensive!) formula for us to try. Umm, no thanks, I'll continue nursing. I am therefore entitled to buy myself a $30 item (clothing, mani/pedi/whatev) for each week that I nurse Diego. Of course I don't to that, did you really think I would?  

5 comments:

Sofia said...

Isa and Diego are soo cute! I have the cutest neice and nephew ever! Happy half a year, Diegito!

Sofia said...

uggh! I spelled niece wrong. How annoying. I can spell, I promise! Love you lots.

Trisha said...

Wow...Samuel had his checkup yesterday and they're almost the same size! [Sam actually has a few ounces on Diego ;)]Tell Diego that Sam says Happy 6 monthday...that's the term Pico and I have gone with until he's old enough that you don't count the months.

Kim said...

What a thrifty kid! Diego is clearly rejecting formula in an attempt to save you guys $30 a week.

Julie & Jack Perry said...

have you always gone to william pielop? jack knows him from growing up. we would switch if we hadn't already fallen in love with dr. harvey.

well...maybe i'll see you sometime soon...can't believe i saw you more when you didn't live so close. well...we are out of school for 6 weeks and will need things to fill our days...when you are in town :)