13 July 2008

Overpriced Marketing

What's in a name?

When PricewaterhouseCoopers Consulting was preparing for its separation from the audit and tax firm (circa 2002), PwC hired some marketing folks to come up with the name for the consulting sector.  Guess what the brainiacks came up with?  Monday Consulting.  Bret & I couldn't believe it.  Big moneys were paid for some firm to come up with such a ludicrous name?  Seriously?  They had come up with the logo brand and had plans to spend $110 million.  I can think of over 110 million better names than Monday.  And can certainly think of 110 million ways to better spend that kind of money.  Thankfully no one has ever had to work for Monday Consulting because IBM bought the consulting sector before Monday could even launch.  

So what's in a name?  I decided that I could have the "well researched" name Monday Consulting for FREE and am therefore using it.  I was also thinking that the blog could be a sort of consulting.  I consult with you or you can consult with me.  Or, you could be looking forward to my posts each Monday when I consult the blog.  

2 comments:

the dowiaks said...

i remember you telling me about that before. i'm glad you reminded me b/c i was going to email you and ask where you got monday consulting from. please tell us how you would spend $110 million dollars! :)

Michael and Tiffany said...

Also wondering where you got the name from. Apparently it's big money to research WORDS, and connotations and associations linked to those words...test market positive thinking... Weird.