08 December 2008

Thanksgiving Week







We were supposed to fly to Utah to visit my beloved maternal grandparents and uncle for the Thanksgiving holiday.  Unfortunately, my mom's boyfriend of three years, Mack Stewart passed away sort of unexpectedly.  He was diagnosed with esophageal cancer and three weeks later passed away.  Cancer sucks.  

We, therefore, changed our plans and went to San Antonio to spend the week with my mom to support and comfort her.  It turned out to be a great family time week.  We ran errands, prepared for Mack's funeral, cooked a delicious Thanksgiving meal together, watched movies, jumped rope, had several people over who brought food and just had some good old fashioned family time.  

For the actual Thanksgiving Day, we had my in-laws (Bret's parents, sister and uncle) over as well as my aunt who lives in Italy (but spent a year in the States), my dad and sister.  Tia Sofia is an excellent cook and makes it all look effortless.  I love having her around in the kitchen any time I have to cook for a lot of people.  She made the turkey and several of the sides.  I think the highlight of the dinner meal though was the cheese and fruit platter that Andrea, my aunt put on.  There were over 15 different kinds of cheeses and they were all delicious.  Our family loves cheese (who doesn't?).

After it was all said and done, the girls watched girlie movies while the guys watched THE University of Texas football game against Texas A&M.  Hook 'em.  

1 comment:

Kim said...

how sad about your mom's boyfriend. i hate cancer.

you look GREAT by the way! and little diego just kills me -- i don't think i could ever say no to those big eyes! watch out girls.