13 December 2008

Los "Tas"







I have officially entered the thirties (known as los tas (from treintas meaning thirties) in Spanish).  To commemorate the big day, we threw a birthday bash at our house on my birth date.  We had such a blast.  Having a December birthday is not always the most fun because people are always busy with the Christmas hustle and bustle to remember December birthdays.  As it happens, we have several family members with December birthdays.  Bret's uncle David - 12/1.  Me and my mom, Sonia - 12/13 and Bret on 12/28.  This December though....everyone came out for the festivities and enjoyed a good party in my honor!  Here's how the party went down:

The Chef
Marisol Isabel Edwards.  A close friend of mine who graciously offered to do all the menu planning, shopping and best of all, cooking for the party.  The food was amazing.  Thank you, Sol!

The Bartender
Juan Ignacio Guadalupe Alonso Aguerrebere (i.e. Abuelito-tito Juan).  My dad has always enjoyed a good drink and has a great bar in his home.  If you ever find yourself in the San Antonio area, you should always stop in for a drink.  His specialty is rum & coke with lime or tequila with lime.  We are Mexican after all.  

The Music
We had several compilations put together by professional music listeners.  Jonathan Edwards, Ryan John Dolibois, Gladys Ileana Ortiz de Arakelian, and Alison Pauline Brown.  I love music, but am terrible about artists and knowing what's hip.  Good thing I have friends who are in the know!!

The Scene
Good friends + Good food + Good cocktails = Good times!  About 50 pairs of feet walked through our front door.  We enjoyed the night eating, talking, drinking, talking, dancing (mostly just me), singing, and having an all around good time.   

Reflection
Recently, Tricia Zucker asked me, "How do you feel about turning 30?" To which my answer is as follows:
I think it is really different being in your 30's.  For me the last decade has been the most change I have experienced.  When I turned 20 I was a junior in college, had just started dating Bret, did not have a career, lived from the mula my parents gave me and had no real responsibilities to speak of.  Now that I am 30, I have been married for 7+ years, have bought and sold a house and bought another home, have two children, have graduated from undergraduate and then law school, and have a career.  That's a lot of change in just 10 years!  I am excited about being 30 and seeing what life has to offer.  

For my birthday, my sweet daughter told me that a cake would be arriving at our house because you must always have cake on your birthday.  I asked her if she was going to make or help make a cake for me?  She quickly responded no, that the mail man would just bring me a cake!  This (obviously) didn't happen, but I found it amusing.  She is still talking about how my birthday will be on Saturday even though at this point the day has come and gone.  So cute.  

3 comments:

Sofia said...

It sure was a fun night! But how sad that a cake just didn't appear at your front door! haha Love you favorite sister.

Tricia said...

I'm so glad you had a great time! You look stunning, all the pictures are amazing. Seriously, I wish Isa were right on that cake delivery business. How sweet would that be? Thanks mailman!

Teri said...

Happy Birthday! Welcome to the 30s!
I think 20's are about finding out who you are, and the 30's are about really being who you are. Many the wise woman has told me this was their favorite decade. :)
Have a wonderful Christmas!