21 June 2009

Feliz Dia del Padre



Happy Father's Day.

What a privilege it is to have a father who is alive and a part of my life and to have an awesome husband who is the father to my two beautiful brown-eyed kids.  I feel so blessed that I have both today.  We have some dear friends who have not had children and my heart aches for them that they are not parents.  God has his ways and his reasons though we may not understand or agree with them.

For the Father's Day weekend, Bret's folks came into town.  They had the annual Austin- Bryan/Perry family reunion.  For those of you not yet indoctrinated, Bret is a descendant of Stephen F. Austin's sister, Emily.  Stephen F. Austin never had children, so Bret is as close as you'll get to Stephen F. Austin these days.  These folks are Texas proud, y'all.  Bret is 8th generation Texan thus making our children 9th generation Texan (despite their foreign-born mother).  We were unable to make it to the reunion as we opted to go to two very fun birthday parties that Saturday.  

We were, however, able to celebrate Father's Day with Bret's parents by going out to dinner at our neighborhood Carraba's which we frequently walk to since it is just a few blocks from our home.  We enjoyed our dinner with some delicious sangria.  We went to church Sunday morning and then out to eat at Pei Wei with Bret's folks before they headed out to what my dad fondly calls their paradise.  They live on the lake and it is beautiful there.

And now for a tribute to all the papas:
Abuelito tito Juan, Papi - Juan Ignacio Guadalupe Alonso Aguerrebere (otherwise known as Sara Carolina's dad): He is so stinkin' funny, he tells it like it is, he is mus-cu-lar (have you seen those biceps?), he has so much energy he makes me feel old, he makes the best eggs and brisket and he calls me his clone.  Hmm, not sure I want to be a man's clone, but hey, I think it's a compliment, right?

Bret Austin Oliver Learned - otherwise known as Papi in our house.  Have you ever met anyone more patient or easy going?  Pretty hard to beat.  Isa has tested him. He is so loving, so not complaining.  He will come home from a long day of work (and I mean long) and still want to be with his kiddos and play with them and read and read and read (have we mentioned that Isa is a book nerd?).  He is hard working, he doesn't require much (so nice as a wife to not have a high maintenance husband!).  I love him and am so grateful to have a husband and a father to my children in him.

Floyd Louis Oliver - otherwise known as Grandpa.  He makes funny faces at Diego.  Isa likes giving him hugs.  He makes the best pancakes and omelets - that alone is reason to go to the lake.  

Thank you for being an active part of our lives!

4 comments:

Alison said...

Welcome back to blog land! So glad to see your pictures of your the latest adventures! And, that picture of your dad just made my week. Hilarious!!! I love your dad! Happy Father's Day Breto!

Tricia said...

Seriously. That pic of your dad is about the coolest thing I've ever seen. It's the whole package--striped athletic socks, addidas, either a speedo or really short 70's shorts, rippling muscles, & a cool mustache. Your dad is the coolest. Sara, you are blessed to have such amazing men in your life! It's great taking a peek into your life...I love the Isa stories. Can't wait to meet her "sister" at the beach!

Sofia said...

And that is little Sara in the awesome dad pic! I love old pictures!

Sofia said...

Dad just read this blog too and I showed him Alison's and Tricia's comments and he's still laughing! He loved it! ha