31 January 2009

El Zoologico





This morning, our good friends the Buntings gave us a ring and invited us to go to the zoo with them.  We had no plans for the entire day and quickly agreed.  Bret was excited for a nice family outing.  Before agreeing though, I did quick investigative work on what the weather would be like.  I am a Texas girl through and through when it comes to the weather and if it seems too cold, I don't like going to the zoo.  But, the weather (through my Mac dashboard) was supposed to be in the high 60's or low 70's today and completely sunny.  This only meant one thing - it was a perfect zoo day.  And it was.  

Erin and her family have always been so good about packing picnic lunches or snacks - you know, how your family did growing up and don't go out to eat.  They actually use rest stops.  I had actually kind of forgotten about rest stops until Erin re-introduced me about 3 years ago.  I grew up going to rest stops - my family loved and I mean loved road trips - from Mexico to Utah.  That is not a short road trip!  All that to say that Erin suggested that we pack a lunch and blankets and have a picnic after the zoo.  I did just that - pb & js all around with some fruit on the side.  My husband and Isa think that pb&j's are a complete treat and love them.  Me, I'll eat them, but don't exactly get all excited about them.  

Once we arrived at the zoo and stood in line forever to renew the zoo membership (if you need to do so, make sure you get the Apache 10% discount they're currently having), we were able to join the Buntings to see the meerkats, bears, elephants, lions, monkeys and most exciting of all - a baby giraffe.  A baby giraffe that was born YESTERDAY.  And it is walking.  The animal kingdom is amazing.  Here I am still toting sweet Diego in a stroller or in my arms because the child won't even stand on his own and this baby giraffe is walking and he's not even 24 hours old!!  Amazing!!!

Ella and Isa had a blast playing and seeing the animals together.  After the zoo, Bret left to go in to work while the Buntings, the kiddos and I stayed on to have a picnic beneath a shady tree.  We stayed there for hours!  And I mean hours.  We did not leave until almost 3pm and had been there since before 11am.  What a fun day.  The girls just played and played running around, chasing squirrels, telling them, "shoo squirrel, shoo!", and pretend feeding Ross who was a very hungry giraffe.  What a great day!

2 comments:

Trisha said...

How funny, we were there yesterday too!

The Palmer Family said...

How fun! I haven't been to the zoo in ages and look forward to taking Brock. :)